Tuesday, February 1, 2011

In-a-Rush Hearty Smoothie

I'm a morning person if by morning that means as of 6 a.m. (I rarely am up and about earlier unless there's a race or something). From about 6-9 a.m. I truly believe I get in some of my most focused and quality work. Then I usually like to take a break and train from 9-12. Then eat, then back to work. Not every day is like that though. These days I'm often rushing out the door at 7 a.m. to do a personal training session or other work stuff.

This morning I was on a roll working hard, but I had to leave no later than 7:30 a.m. to get to SPI. By 7:20 a.m. I was still working and had only had my coffee -- no brekkie yet. Crap! Now, if you know me, I make a BIG deal out of breakfast; it's the most important meal of the day and I make sure I get in a lot of quality calories. I never skip or forget breakfast (I don't get how others do that?!). But all my typical brekkies are about a 20-30 minute cooking production and not very portable. Crap.

In a scramble I decided the Vitamix was the only way I could pack in a bunch of nutritious and substantial stuff real quick; portable too. (Btw, I can't survive on fruit smoothies alone, need more substance!) The concoction I made was stellar. It yielded a crapload of smoothie, but I ended up having all of it from the time I started with my first client until I personally finished working out at noon.


So wanted to share the recipe...


1/2 cup uncooked oats (cooked probably works too, but I had no time)
1 1/2 cup water
1 cup almond milk
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (25 g protein/130 cals)
1/2 cup cooked kobacha squash (had this leftover in fridge, I might have added more than 1/2c)
10 large frozen strawberries
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
2-3 tbsp ground CHIA SEEDS (a new fav!!)
2 packets stevia
sprinkle of cinnamon
ice cubes (about a handful; but I didn't keep track of how many)


Blend up! You may need to add a little more liquid (water or almond milk); it's real thick! In a way, it kind of reminded me of oatmeal cookie batter but fruitier and more fro-yo like.


Pretty sure the whole drink is about 600 calories +/- 50, which is pretty decent for breakfast all in liquid form! It kept me very sustained throughout my active morning. However, I'm not gonna lie, by the time I had finished a 2700 swim and 6-mile run, I was ready for lunch!


PS#1 - Sorry no pics, forgot! But I'll be making it again, guarantee it :)

PS#2 - This was the first time I've eaten uncooked oats (although, they're actually already cooked since they're toasted or something, right?). Anyone have any thoughts/reasons as to why eating uncooked vs. cooked oats is good or bad?? Or no difference?

PS#3 - Don't mean for this to sound like an ad; it kinda does, huh! Lol.

9 comments:

  1. great recipe! I love the oats addition!
    LC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried that squash. You've piqued my curiosity about it. You're also giving me motivation to pick up some gluten-free oatmeal at Whole Foods. It's pricey, but tastes like the real deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! I will have to try this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any thoughts on eating cooked vs. uncooked oats, but I add about 1/4C of rolled oats to my smoothie almost every time! Try making one with oats, soymilk, an apple, cinnamon, dates/raisins, and chia seeds, protein powder. It tastes just like an oatmeal cookie...Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only really bad thing that could happen with eating "raw oats" is that you might bloat up! Otherwise you do get raw oats in most muesli cereals. YUMMY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think maybe it's just in my head, but it seems almost like uncooked oats taste gritty or starchy in a way that cooked oats don't.

    Think you could estimate the important nutritional stats for this smoothie for us at some point?

    ReplyDelete
  7. no pics = didn't happen.

    c'mon tawnnee... step your game up!

    when are you going to come ride with us?

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum - I tried a version of it this morning in my blender - I LOVED the oats!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Muesli is raw oats and other stuff- perfectly good!

    ReplyDelete